It's Been a While
Monday, November 13, 2017 8:55 PM
Just when I think life is getting on track and I can start getting back into an "art-groove", something happens and the next thing I know, it's been months since I've done any new art. Well, I'm sick of it. And I've been slowly but sure working on making some changes in my life and schedule to make art more of a priority again. It hasn't been going perfectly, but I'm at least headed in the right direction. To give you an idea of how bad things have gotten, The new artwork I’m sharing here is a piece of art I just finished as a gift for my hubby... for Christmas... of 2016!!! But the point is - I'm making the time and doing it. In the in between times, I've been designing my next set of illustrations. Here is the plan for the next pieces of art.
1. The peice I’m sharing here is the gift I did for my hubby. It’s a scen from the musical “Into the Woods” done as an animated cell. I used the costume designed from the production he and I produced. This is a silly little project I’ve been wanting to try for some time now. I actually did it like an animated cell - I painted the background separately, then painted the characters on sheets of acetate. By my husband’s request, I added a dash of blush via the computer, but other wise everything is hand drawn & painted. It’s not perfect, but I like the way it turned out and may be the first of more cell art.
2. I really am looking forward to doing some of my book illustrations, but I had set a specific goal for myself to do a "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" painting - commemorating the 20th anniversary of the show before the end of the year. It's all designed, I just need to put it down on the board and paint it. It's only a Season 1 painting, so there will be more later. The plan is to do one a year (2 once Angel starts) and they'll all link up to make one big piece in the end.
3. Chapter 4 of "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"!!! Everything is designed and ready - painting and vignettes - Like the Buffy painting, it'll just be a matter of putting them on the board and painting - or drawing for the vignettes
4. Chapter 7 of "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" will be next. I am currently working on this stuff. The painting is nearly designed, but I still have the vignettes to do. But I'm not worried - it should be done sooner than later... at least by the time I get through the other stuff listed above.
5. Chapter 2 of Percy Jackson - "The Lighting Thief". Yes for real. I hadn't forgotten about the series after only having done Chapter 1 In all seriousness, you'll be seeing more of Percy as I start producing art again. I don't do vignette drawings for the Percy books - but the painting is all designed and ready.
6. Chapter 1 of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". I've been teasing that I want to illustrate this book for sometime now. And it's going to happen. To be honest, nothing is drawn yet - but I have plans. And as soon as I finish the stuff for Oz Ch.7 - this will be what I working on. Like Percy, I won't be doing vignette drawings. But the vignette drawings are something extra for Potter and Oz.
7. Star Wars - A New Hope Poster. This is another piece I've got all designed and ready to go. If it wasn't for the fact that I've been itching to do all the other stuff listed above, this would be next. But it'll be here before you know it.
And all that is my basic plan of attack as I proceed there after. I'm always going to do the chapter illustrations in clumps - Potter, Oz, Percy and Charlie. And between each "clump", I'll be doing a Buffy or Star Wars painting. I'm deciding how much art I'm going to be including in the book I wrote. Once I've got that figured out, I'll incorporate it into the schedule.