Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Chapter 3: The Leaky Cauldron
Painting - 16 x 22 / Gouache and Watercolour paints with coloured pencil (and a little bit of marker) on watercolour paper
Vignette Drawings:Each varies in side though they are no larger than 8 x 14 / Pencil on Paper
This set of illustrations had a longer history than most. I had started it months ago, doing most of the drawings then starting the painting, but then had to pack it away because my hubby and I moved. I worked on some other stuff before dragging it out at the new place, and then even forgot to post about it here, so sorry. But it’s up now, and it marks the beginning of what will (hopefully) be a more regular stream of artwork produced.
As for the painting - it's a cute piece and I enjoyed painting it. I had fun with some of the decorations handing on the walls. Tom was fun to paint - it's always nice to show off a character that's not one of the main cast.
Mixed feelings come...
This was a pretty awesome weekend for finishing projects for me. I finished my most recent painting (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3 - seen in my previous post) AND I finished the slipcases for the Harry Potter books I hand bound. I haven’t talked about them here, but it’s something I’ve been working on; recreating the books and hand binding them. At first glance, they look very similar to the original versions I made back in the day, but there are a handful of serious changes:
1. The biggest change (though it isn't noticeable in this image) is that I used the actual story text. I formatted it all myself, placing my illustrations wherever necessary.
2. The dimensions are about the same - I had to because of the slipcase art - but I these books are smaller than the originals. As where the originals were about 8.5 x 11, these are closer to 6 x 9.5ish.
3. The slipcases (which is what I finished over the weekend) probably show the most noticeable differences - the
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3
18 x 24 Gouache paints with coloured pencil on watercolour paper - minor PhotoShopping was done to the black boarder and the red shapes to make web/print ready because the scanner picked up too much of the brush strokes.
I fell behind on this series - my original plan was to do one every year after I started by doing Season 1 during it's 20th Anniversary, and thus do a painting for each season on it's own 20th Anniversary. But life and other projects got in the way, and now I'm not sure where this is falling, and from here on out, I also have Angel to add to the mix. But I have devised a new art schedule, and who knows - maybe I'll catch up and maybe even lap myself. We'll see I guess. Anyway, as for the painting itself...
I feel pretty good about how it turned out over all. It's not prefect, and the smaller a character is, the harder I find it to capture their likeness - especially females. But this season introduced
My name is Keith James and this is my website. It's mostly an online portfolio of my artwork, available for all to see, be it friends or family, but especially potential employers! So take a look around, I hope you enjoy what you see.
~ See ya in the funny papers!